Sunday, July 10, 2011

Movie Review: Raakshasa

Story of an Honest Cop

When I was in India I rarely watched movies, and when I did I preferred to go to English, Hindi, and Kannada movies in that order. After coming to the US I have watched more Kannada movies than ever before. Probably because I don't want to lose touch with the language that I was raised talking. Here I rarely speak my mother tongue - Kannada.

Anyway coming back to the movie under review, I stumbled upon this movie quite by accident while searching for something to watch on Youtube. This movie according to the producer/ director is based on real incidents. The film centers around the exploits of ACP Harish Chandra (Shivrajkumar) who constantly puts his life in line to perform his duty. He kills the younger brother of underworld don Shabbir Khan while trying to arrest the latter. Khan swears revenge and tries to eliminate Harish Chandra and family, but succeeds in killing only his wife and son.

ACP Harish Chandra returns to police force with a vengeance and is made the head of the Anti-Rowdy squad in which he successfully eliminates notorious miscreants in the state. Meanwhile Shabbir Khan returns to India from Dubai to settle scores with ACP Harish Chanddra and regain control over his underworld empire. The story ends with a different type of ending, once again displaying the broadminded nature of Kannadigas.

I must say that this movie is one of the few fast paced movies that doesn't bore the viewer. I only fast forwarded the songs. Ruthika the heroine looks good but has no role in the movie, if the songs and unnecessary drama were cut out the movie would probably be comparable to any fast-paced Hollywood movie. I guess Sadhu Kokila the director should think about making a fast paced narrative story like this without songs and unnecessary drama.

Bottom line is that Kannada film industry is moving forward and making better movies. Cinema that is watchable and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your praises and comments will be addressed appropriately!