Thursday, July 28, 2011

Singam - Hindi Movie Review

Action Packed Flick with Powerful Performances
I had watched the Tamil version of this movie while I was in the US and knew the plot pretty much. Then the much promoted Hindi movie released when I landed in Bangalore and I thought I should take a look and see what Ajay Devgan has done. Whether the Hindi version was better or the Tamil one was more entertaining. Well after watching the movie I must say I enjoyed the Hindi version better, simply because I understood what was being said and the superior technical details. Performance wise the stars in both languages have delivered equally well.

The story is a typical Good cop versus corrupt police department and their political and rowdy henchmen. A honest inspector has a tangle with a politically well connected underworld don and that starts off an ego issue between them. The cop gets transferred to the big bad city where every one in the police department is corrupt and hand-in-glove with the thugs and politicians. The rest of the story is about how the cop combats his frustrations and eliminates the rowdy elements of the big city.

There was no need for a heroine in this movie and I don't know why good film makers see the need to include a pretty face even though the script doesn't demand one. If only Indian film makers were to see the potential of movies without song and dance routines, and heroines showing off their curves and skin I am pretty sure the industry would be able to attain new heights. But I guess right now the industry is still not mature enough... maybe the audience isn't also...

1 comment:

  1. The industry won't be mature until it starts paying attention to screenwriters with new, refreshing stories, but that'll only happen when they open their close-knit circle (I'm a debut Bollywood writer...)

    I haven't seen Singham (it's one of my upcoming reviews), but I've heard it's a lot like Dabangg in that it focuses on an all-conquering hero. I like the songs 'Saathiya' and 'Maula' so those are good reasons as any I guess to watch the film.

    Sahasi have you checked out my blog Bolly Hoo Ha? I focus on the lighter side of Bollywood - poking fun, photoshops, and Zero Screentime Walas!

    Besides I know you're a fan of EatPrayLoveMovies with which I'm currently doing 'The Movie Antakshari' collaboration!

    Check my blog out and I hope you follow/comment!

    www.bollyhooha.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Your praises and comments will be addressed appropriately!